What is difference between keyBy and map operations in Apache Spark?

community-wiki
apache-spark
rdd-api

Hello Durga sir and all, I wanted to know the function of keyBy in spark, is it similar to map, if not how is it different? please help me with it…?

2 Likes

@mohan2593 That’s really very good question! Thanks for asking :slight_smile:

TL;DR
In simple words, keyBy is one of the specialized form of map. i.e keyBy is derived from map function only.

Is answer looks too long? :fearful: But I assure you it will be worth reading. :slight_smile:

Firstly, we will try to understand the definitions of both functions:

Definition of KeyBy Function:

def keyBy(f: (T) ⇒ K): RDD[(K, T)]
//Here keyBy function takes another function f:(T)=>K(f takes T(here T is original RDD’s element Type) as argument and returns K(here K is Resultant RDD’s key Type) as argument and returns RDD of key-value tuples RDD[(K,T)]

Definition of map Function:

def map(f: (T) ⇒ U): RDD[U]
//Here map function takes another function f:(T)=>U(f takes T(here T is original RDD’s element Type) as argument and returns U(here U is Resultant RDD’s element Type) as argument and returns RDD of U Type elements RDD[U]

From definitions of both functions one can easily come to the conclusion that keyBy function returns paired RDD whereas map returns simple RDD. Although it is correct, you can pass a function to map so that it returns paired RDD, in fact you can achieve the same results of keyBy with map function. Look at the example below where keyBy and map both produce same results:

val rdd = sc.parallelize(List(1,2,3))

def keyByF(t:Int) = t*t
val keyByRDD = rdd.keyBy(keyByF)
keyByRDD.collect

def mapF(t:Int) = (t*t, t)
val mapRDD = rdd.map(mapF)
mapRDD.collect

You can find full code of keyBy function(I just extracted important line and provided below) in Spark Source Code [here] (https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/v1.6.2/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/rdd/RDD.scala#L1490):

map(x => (f(x), x))

Which One to Use?

1. When you have straightforward requirement to create simple pairs then it’s better to use keyBy because it is very intuitive than map ( expecting (key, value) pairs as output of map function? :confused: isn’t it ODD?)

2. Although expecting (key,value) pairs as output from map function is confusing, but it is very flexible and can be useful in many cases unlike keyBy .

Hope it helps!

5 Likes

Thank you Venkat, those who like the response please share it on social networking platforms.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you @venkatreddy-amalla
It was very helpful. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

@mohan2593 Glad it was helpful! I would suggest you to edit the Title of the post. IMO, “What is difference between keyBy and map operations in Apache Spark?” is best fit for title of the post. [quote=“mohan2593, post:1, topic:210”]
I wanted to know the function of keyBy in spark, is it similar to map, if not how is it different? please help me with it…?
[/quote]

1 Like